Wednesday, September 08, 2010

My Sins

A while back, Dave and I watched the movie Se7en starring Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman. It is a good movie, but incredibly graphic and quite gorey. But still a pretty good movie with a couple twists and an interesting plot. This post however, is not a review of the movie.

The Seven Deadly Sins (hereafter called the 7) are also known as the Capital Vices and are 'a classification of the most objectionable vices that has been used since early Christian times to educate and instruct followers concerning immoral fallen humanity's tendencies to sin'.

Every time I hear about the 7 I think about how they relate to me (is that pride?). In other words, which of them am I the most guilty of. So I decided to rank them and give some kind of justification as to the ranking...

  1. Gluttony - I think my explanation to this one is pretty self-explanatory. I have a love-affair with food and eat way too much of it.

  2. Envy - I am quite a jealous person. I know envy and jealousy are not exactly the same as jealousy normally has to do with materials goods, but whether you call it envious or jealous both can describe me.

  3. Sloth - defined as the spiritual or emotional apathy, Sloth can also have to do with waste of talent or ability. It is the second part of this that I feel is relevant to me. I am good at many things, some of which I use on a daily basis but the greatest of which I neglect or overlook completely.

  4. Pride - This is considered the original sin - the source from which the others arise. Though I do not feel it as relevant to me as other sins. It is identified as the desire to be more important or desired than others. I often think others are better than me at most things (in terms of appearances or abilities) though I suppose I do desire to be better, though I do not think I want to be the best. Either way, I have ranked it mid way in my list.

  5. Greed - Also a sin of excess, greed is mid to low ranked for me as I feel that though I can tend to be a greedy person, I am capable of overcoming this tendency much easier than others.

  6. Wrath - This sin has to do with anger (though I am sure few needed this explained to them). I am not a very angry person usually. I can get angry of course, but have become much better at dealing with and portraying this anger to those around me and I therefore have ranked this sin rather low.

  7. Lust - I have ranked this rather low as I do not find myself to be a lustful person. I do not rank sex or sexual thoughts/feelings above people or other emotions.
As a sidenote, one of my favourite images depecting the seven deadly sins is below. It is from the show America's Next Top Model and I think it was done really well (though Gluttony looks like she hates that food rather than loves it and eats lots of it).
(image found through Google - originally taken on America's Next Top Model, Cycle Four)

1 comments:

Christine Sweeton 7:08 AM  

I was so going to do a post JUST like this!! The bare bones of it is sitting in my drafts actually. However you did it way better!! And, of course, I love ANTM. Are you watching this season?

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Eddy Oliver Beach

Eddy Oliver Beach
Nov. 2, 1998 - May 26, 2007

Copyright

The work contained in my online galleries and published on my blogs is Copyright Stephanie Beach 1998-2011 (unless otherwise stipulated). All rights reserved. My work may not be reproduced, copied, edited, published, transmitted or uploaded in any way without my written permission. My work does not belong to the public domain.


  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP