Friday, January 04, 2008

Researching the Past

My Dad is coming up to Ottawa tomorrow so that he and I can go to the Library and Archives of Canada to do some research on our ancestory. He has been looking into his dad's side of the family for quite some time now and has found out a great deal of information but it I think he has gotten as much from just the internet as he can now.
He knows that his grandmother came over here from England and that all her descendants are still living in the Surrey, England area so he has sent a request for information to the local paper there and hopefully he will find something out before Chris and I head over there for vacation so that maybe I can help out a bit while I am there.
His grandfather was in WWI and possibly went under different names so it is hard to find some information on him since we don't know what other names he used. When Dad brought me back to Ottawa on New Year's Day we went to the Archives and he registered as a researcher for the general public and we were able to order a box of his grandfather's war papers (like his attestation papers and other things) and that will be waiting in a locker for us when we get there tomorrow. I looked up some stuff yesterday and found a land grant paper which may be his grandfather's and so I am going to see if we can't go look at it (it will already be there since it is on microfilm).
There is tons of other sorts of information at the Archives and these two things will just be the beginning I am sure but for now I think it is good to do this and then to figure out what else the place can do for Dad's search. They have documents like immigration papers and whatnot too so perhaps he can even find some information on his grandmother from England. Who knows, but I think it is all really interesting and am so glad that I am able to help him out, even if I am just another set of ears to listen.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Eddy Oliver Beach

Eddy Oliver Beach
Nov. 2, 1998 - May 26, 2007

Copyright

The work contained in my online galleries and published on my blogs is Copyright Stephanie Beach 1998-2011 (unless otherwise stipulated). All rights reserved. My work may not be reproduced, copied, edited, published, transmitted or uploaded in any way without my written permission. My work does not belong to the public domain.


  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP