Friday, February 12, 2010

Suncoast Sea Bird Sanctuary

The Suncoast Sea Bird Sanctuary is located in Indian Shores, Florida. It is apparently world renowned for its rehabilitation techniques and is home to many, many injured and stranded Florida birds including various pelicans, cormorants, owls, raptors (birds of prey), ibis, herons/cranes, and others whose names I have unfortunately forgotten. We walked around the facility and watched the birds interact with each other and later saw them get fed. It was interesting because there were many wild birds sitting on the net-caging. I couldn't determine if they wanted in or if they just wanted to mock the birds at the sanctuary.The sanctuary also happens to be right on the beach and when we walked out there we saw several wild pelicans and cranes. I slowly walked up to them and took some shots and as I got closer it became evident that they were quite used to humans and it took a fair bit of effort by Dave to get them to fly off (in order to try and get some flying shots - though they didn't really turn out as nice as I was hoping they would). It was a nice end to a very pleasant day and though admission is free, Dave and I donated a few dollars to try and help the centre because any place that helps that many animals is worth my money.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Eddy Oliver Beach

Eddy Oliver Beach
Nov. 2, 1998 - May 26, 2007

Copyright

The work contained in my online galleries and published on my blogs is Copyright Stephanie Beach 1998-2011 (unless otherwise stipulated). All rights reserved. My work may not be reproduced, copied, edited, published, transmitted or uploaded in any way without my written permission. My work does not belong to the public domain.


  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP