Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Lost in Austen

Lost in Austen is a BBC miniseries that has been airing on TVO lately. I watched it for the first time when Dave as in Toronto for work and watched it again when he was in Brockville for work. Well, to be honest, both times I have watched it, I have only actually seen the third installment of the four part series. It is basically Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, with a twist. The main character is a modern woman who absolutely loves the Austen novel. During a somewhat peculiar time in her life, she ends up trading places with the heroin from the novel, Elizabeth Bennett. She then spends the rest of the show trying to fix the plot of the novel, but inevitably and quite predictably, messes it up even more.

I know it sounds slightly cheesy and ridiculous and some even say blasphemous as it is messing with such a popular book, but it is a really charming story with great actors and witty writing. Since I had only ever seen the third part, I decided to buy it from Amazon.ca and am so happy I did. I ended up staying up very late the night it was delivered watching this really great British romance. I strongly recommend it to anyone who loves that period of book or movie.

4 comments:

Sandy 8:33 AM  

This sounds interesting especially since I have a fascination with time travel. Stopping by from SITS. Love your blog! My dog is from Ottawa, eh?

Unknown 2:07 PM  

Thanks :)
I like time travel based stories as well - even more so when they are mixed with with english wit.

Unknown 2:56 PM  

Sounds like a good one! Have you read the Outback series? those were good as well, and involved some time travel, without being as confusing as The Time Traveler's Wife.

Just stopping by from SITS to say hi; hope you'll do the same.

Unknown 8:56 PM  

I loved Lost in Austen, I am a HUGE fan of Pride and Prejudice, it's my favorite book and favorite movie of all time.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Eddy Oliver Beach

Eddy Oliver Beach
Nov. 2, 1998 - May 26, 2007

Copyright

The work contained in my online galleries and published on my blogs is Copyright Stephanie Beach 1998-2011 (unless otherwise stipulated). All rights reserved. My work may not be reproduced, copied, edited, published, transmitted or uploaded in any way without my written permission. My work does not belong to the public domain.


  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP