Friday, August 14, 2009

Beauty

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye." - Miss Piggy.

Beauty is an odd thing when you think about it. Many years ago women of larger size would have been a man's number one choice when it came to marriage. They were beautiful. Then came the corset, which in my opinion, was one of the first main contributors to today's body image problems. I am sure everyone who knows me knows how much I detest the way women are portrayed in the media today - what with all the retouching and editing, it is simply disgusting. It is hard enough trying to live up to the standards of beautiful women strolling the streets, but to now have to live up to completely edited and retouched ones on the magazine covers makes things so much worse. Even the stars portrayed on the covers can't do it.
Kelly Clarkson appears on the September cover of Self Magazine a significantly slimmer version of herself, see image on left. She has fought with her weight in the past and even within the pages of this magazine, she declares that she has come to terms with her weight and likes her curvy-self, see image on right. This photo had created an uproar and was even on Canada AM this morning. Lucy Danziger editor-in-chief for the Magazine said “Kelly Clarkson displays self-confidence, and she is a role model for today’s women, regardless of their sizes and ethnicity. Kelly Clarkson is a strong and healthy woman and is working out regularly, and all our magazine did is to display that confidence, self esteem and beauty. We love this cover and we love Kelly Clarkson.”. Now, even the critics are saying that magazines such as this one aren't really photo-journalism but really just images used to sell their magazines and therefore lean more towards creative art, I still don't think there should be a highly edited photo on the magazine cover when inside that same person is quoted saying things like "When people talk about [it], I’m like, ‘You seem to have a problem’ — I don’t, I’m fine!’ ” the pop star says of her larger size. “I’ve never felt uncomfortable on a red carpet or anything.”. If this is the article you wish to write and have in your magazine, then the images shown about it, should portray the same message.
Those who know me, know I have a weight problem. I will be the first to admit that I am overweight and need to do something about it. But unlike others, I am trying to do something about it and I believe I am going about it in a healthy and mature way. There are no diet pills involved and no unrealistic goals to achieve. I am not saying I am perfect in my weight loss, trust me I am far from it, but I am doing the best I can while still enjoying myself along the way. But to be honest, images of 'perfect' women do not help me. I get frustrated and angry that I cannot look like them and I am a 25-year old woman who knows a great deal about Photoshop. Think about those 13-year old girls who might actually think that these women look like this, or at least close to it. The expert on Canada AM this morning said that eating disorders are the third most prevalent disease in teenage girls, which worries me greatly. I personally have never had an eating disorder (I love eating food too much to be anorexic and hate throwing up so much that being bulimic never really crossed my mind), but have known girls who fought these issues and the hardships they went through to overcome them.
I realize that my blog and those of other angered people out there aren't going to stop the extensive editing done today. And in all reality, it may never end. Technology is so great, and you can make the people look so wonderful, why would it stop? Companies can make so much money selling magazines with stellar people on the covers and then have weight loss ads within, why would these money hungry people want to discontinue their outlandish incomes? But I can do something about it in my own photography. Since I started I have never edited someone to be a smaller size than they were and I like to think I will never be swayed to do it. In classes we have learned how to decrease one's age or figure and I have learned that these are things I do not want to do. I believe there are better ways to capture and portray a persons'best-self. At most change lighting or angles, at least then you are still capturing that person as they are and not how you or someone else wants them to be. Go ahead and get rid of that pimple, it is not a permanent feature of anyone, but leave most everything else.

3 comments:

Anonymous 4:44 AM  

Hello !.
You re, I guess , perhaps very interested to know how one can manage to receive high yields .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may begin to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you haven`t ever dreamt of such a chance to become rich
The firm represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with affiliates around the world.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your chance That`s what you desire!

I`m happy and lucky, I began to take up income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to choose a proper companion utilizes your money in a right way - that`s the AimTrust!.
I make 2G daily, and what I started with was a funny sum of 500 bucks!
It`s easy to join , just click this link http://qegitafolu.kogaryu.com/nemymif.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take this option together to become rich

Anonymous 4:57 PM  

Good day, sun shines!
There have were times of hardship when I felt unhappy missing knowledge about opportunities of getting high yields on investments. I was a dump and downright pessimistic person.
I have never thought that there weren't any need in big initial investment.
Now, I feel good, I started take up real income.
It's all about how to select a correct partner who utilizes your money in a right way - that is incorporate it in real business, parts and divides the income with me.

You can ask, if there are such firms? I'm obliged to answer the truth, YES, there are. Please get to know about one of them:
http://theblogmoney.com

Anonymous 7:28 PM  

Hello!
You may probably be very interested to know how one can make real money on investments.
There is no initial capital needed.
You may commense to get income with a money that usually goes
for daily food, that's 20-100 dollars.
I have been participating in one company's work for several years,
and I'm ready to let you know my secrets at my blog.

Please visit blog and send me private message to get the info.

P.S. I earn 1000-2000 per daily now.

http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Eddy Oliver Beach

Eddy Oliver Beach
Nov. 2, 1998 - May 26, 2007

Copyright

The work contained in my online galleries and published on my blogs is Copyright Stephanie Beach 1998-2011 (unless otherwise stipulated). All rights reserved. My work may not be reproduced, copied, edited, published, transmitted or uploaded in any way without my written permission. My work does not belong to the public domain.


  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP