Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Double Decker

Double Decker buses have come to Ottawa!
The buses were initially tested as part of a pilot project back in 2006 and 2007. The pilot project was predominantly for operational and performance testing as was apparently deemed successful by the City. They purchased three double decker E500 buses from manufacturer Alexander Dennis Ltd. Standing 14 feet high and 40 feet long, the double decker bus carries more passengers than an articulated bus. They will mainly be used on Transitway and express routes to take advantage of the increased capacity. The new buses can carry 96 passengers (82 seated and 14 standing), compared to an average of 70 passengers on articulated buses. The bus is obviously accessible and can accommodate two electric wheelchairs. Other features include quiet noise levels (inside and out), improved ride quality and large windows for better views of the city.
Today on the way back from a site visit I saw one running the 112 route near my work and was pretty excited. I tried to limit my excitement level as the new employee was in the car with me and I didn't really want to seem that odd. Since it is the bus that a few coworkers take to get to work I want to see if any of them have ridden the new buses and what they are like.

2 comments:

Christine Sweeton 10:31 PM  

(I think this post cut off before you were done.) I really want to ride one of these!! There are also supossed to be electric buses around, I saw them testing one a few months ago, it was freaky because they are perfectly silent... but I havent seen one since...

Stephanie Faris 5:08 PM  

Cool! They had them when I was in London and I found them very nice to look at. We don't have them in the States.

Stopping by from SITS.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Eddy Oliver Beach

Eddy Oliver Beach
Nov. 2, 1998 - May 26, 2007

Copyright

The work contained in my online galleries and published on my blogs is Copyright Stephanie Beach 1998-2011 (unless otherwise stipulated). All rights reserved. My work may not be reproduced, copied, edited, published, transmitted or uploaded in any way without my written permission. My work does not belong to the public domain.


  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP