Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Growing Up Today

While at the cottage this year, Dave and Justin got into a discussion about children and values. I am not entirely sure how it started, as I entered the conversation after it had begun, but it definitely got me thinking. They were questioning how you raise a children with religion in their life. Do you impose your religion upon them? Do you allow them to chose for themselves? And if so, at what age to you do this? How do you do this correctly? How do you enable yourself to give them all the information they need about the different religions in the world and how they may or may not fit in with their life?

I found this blog through 'The Secret is in the Sauce' site (you may have noticed the new button on my blogs), and found this particular post very interesting. I feel that her delimna of teaching a child good morals and values in a world that is often lacking them, is pretty much universal across religions. Also, as she is actually a parent dealing with these problems now and the three of us are just a few steps away from that stage of life (to say the least), I therefore feel her opinion has a better viewpoint to it than ours. Anyways, check it out if you are interested, there are also some interesting comments from other mothers and bloggers alike.

1 comments:

Christine Sweeton 8:47 PM  

Ohhh, heady topic. I don't know where I stand on this. I picked my own religon as I was not really raised with it, though it is basically my Dad's (though truely my grandmother's). I arrived at it through choice, after 'sampling' others. I think that being raised with religon does force that religon upon the child instead of allowing them choice and the opportunity to find what works best for them and fits with their beliefs. However, if I am religous and if at that time I am more 'practising' religous it would be hard not to raise my children with my chosen beliefs. Difficult thing, very difficult to figure out.

(Good thing I don't want kids.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Eddy Oliver Beach

Eddy Oliver Beach
Nov. 2, 1998 - May 26, 2007

Copyright

The work contained in my online galleries and published on my blogs is Copyright Stephanie Beach 1998-2011 (unless otherwise stipulated). All rights reserved. My work may not be reproduced, copied, edited, published, transmitted or uploaded in any way without my written permission. My work does not belong to the public domain.


  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP