Saturday, July 25, 2009

St. Joseph's Oratory

St. Joseph's Oratory was a last minute addition to our Montreal trip, but boy am I glad we went. Not only was the Oratory itself breathtaking, but the view was amazing. I got a chance to take some panoramic shots and use the Photomerge feature in Photoshop.The Oratory has become a famous location not only because of the gigantic and beautiful architecture, but also because of one brother in particular. Frere Andre (aka Blessed Brother Andre) was a Holy Cross Brother and is very famous among French-Canadian Catholics. The Oratory and the small chapel in Brother Andre's name are littered with crutches and walking sticks from people who came to visit Frere Andre during his time to be healed, honestly the below photo is a ridiculously small portion of them.It is reported that performed thousands of healing miracles during his lifetime. Since his death in 1937, he has performed one posthumuous mircale - curing one of the patrons of cancer. The miracle was credited by the Pope at the time and his followers are now awaiting his second posthumuous miracle which would label him a Saint, officially. His heart lies within the Oratory still at his request as he believed it would protect the structure. People came to the Oratory everyday to pray to be healed. The stairs of the Oratory are considered to be a sort of pilgrimage, and upon arrival, one can pray right at the tomb of Frere Andre. It was moving to see so many ill people obviously praying for their health, but more touching to see the apparently healthy people praying for loved ones to be healed.The Oratory itself, is breathtaking. For a little comparison, St. Joseph's Oratory is taller than St. Paul's Cathedral in London, England. Both Dave and I took a great deal of photos from inside the Oratory and I am very pleased with how my camera behaved. Though we had brought it with us and photography was 100% acceptable inside, I didn't feel right using my tripod.There will be lots of shots from here on my Photography blog over the next little while for sure, that is how please I am with the vast majority of them.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Eddy Oliver Beach

Eddy Oliver Beach
Nov. 2, 1998 - May 26, 2007

Copyright

The work contained in my online galleries and published on my blogs is Copyright Stephanie Beach 1998-2011 (unless otherwise stipulated). All rights reserved. My work may not be reproduced, copied, edited, published, transmitted or uploaded in any way without my written permission. My work does not belong to the public domain.


  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP