Tuesday, November 10, 2009

How-To Tuesday: Switch from French to English

I get asked how to do this at least once a week by either co-workers or a friend. Every once in a while, Windows will switch from using the English keyboard to using the French one. You will not have asked it to, nor will you have any need of it but Windows has decided to switch the language randomly. It could even happen halfway through a sentence. The ? turns into É and the > turns into . - that's right, you now have two ways to make a period using the exact same key!
So, how do you fix this you ask? How do you turn the language back to English from French?
Right beside your clock are tons of little icons (they are different for most computers, but they are always there in some capacity). Next to these there should be a little keyboard symbol.When you click on the keyboard icon you will be given your language options. For Canadians, the options will be the same as mine, though they may be different in other countries - I am not sure. Either way, since French has kicked in, Canadian French will have a check mark beside it. To correct it, select US and all will be fixed.Now if you are like me, you will want a Canadian English so that colour is spelt correctly, etc. You might think that Canadian Multilingual Standard would do that, but you would be wrong. For all intensive purposes, Canadian Multilingual Standard is the same as Canadian French. I don't know why they are both there - another wonderful Windows feature I suppose.
Of course, this technique also works to switch to French. I hope this has helped some people - I know it frustrates a great number of people in my office on a regular basis. Now, if I could only figure out why it randomly switches then I would be a true office hero!

1 comments:

Christine Sweeton 5:45 PM  

I have to do this ALL THE TIME. Both at work and home. (I knew how, I figured it out a couple of years ago, so while I didn't really need the How-To, I liked reading about it because I totally sympathize!!)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Eddy Oliver Beach

Eddy Oliver Beach
Nov. 2, 1998 - May 26, 2007

Copyright

The work contained in my online galleries and published on my blogs is Copyright Stephanie Beach 1998-2011 (unless otherwise stipulated). All rights reserved. My work may not be reproduced, copied, edited, published, transmitted or uploaded in any way without my written permission. My work does not belong to the public domain.


  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP