Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Way Back Whenesday: Puppy Surprise


Puppy Surprise was one of the really odd toys available when I was young. I did however have it, as well as Kitty Surprise and Bunny Surprise. The general idea of these toys, if you didn't get it from the commercial above, is that they have Velcro stomachs in which lies 3, 4 or 5 baby animals. Apparently getting 5 babies was a rarity but through some stroke of luck I got 5 puppies and kittens. I only got 3 bunnies though, BUT what some people failed to notice was that you could send away to get the remaining number of babies for free (well - you had to pay shipping and handling, but it wasn't much). So my mom sent away for two additional baby bunnies, they were orange when my original ones were pink, but colour didn't really matter. Apparently, there are still upset people out there who only ever got 3 babies with their moms and never got the additional free babies.
I remember playing with the babies as oddly large pets for my barbies and not really playing with any of the parents as once the babies were born there wasn't much point. I also remember losing the mother puppy at some point and finding her years later under the couch. Normally this wouldn't matter, but our couch was also a bed, and the wire frame had squished her plastic face and left her deformed.
My mom didn't really like the toys, not because of their weird nature, but rather because I wasn't to creative with toy names and since I had the fortunate luck of getting 15 (13 plus two adopted ones) babies overall, my mom had the unfortunate luck of naming them all. When we got the mom home, I would promptly open her up and start removing babies. Every time I pulled one out I would run over to my mom and say, "What's this one's name?" and she would give me a response of Tommy or Suzy or other generic name. She still brings it up every now and then. Such a great childhood memory.

2 comments:

Christine Sweeton 8:24 AM  

I don't know if I ever had this, but I can remember the little form to get more so I must have. I totally remember the commercial!!

Erin 7:29 AM  

I totally remember these! My friend had one and I remember playing with it with her. It was a pink one and I think had four puppies. I was so jealous!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Eddy Oliver Beach

Eddy Oliver Beach
Nov. 2, 1998 - May 26, 2007

Copyright

The work contained in my online galleries and published on my blogs is Copyright Stephanie Beach 1998-2011 (unless otherwise stipulated). All rights reserved. My work may not be reproduced, copied, edited, published, transmitted or uploaded in any way without my written permission. My work does not belong to the public domain.


  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP