Friday, May 01, 2009

Pole Mounted Transformer

Last night at about 2:30 or 3:00 in the morning, there was a loud explosion, pop noise and a simultaneous flash from all the electronics in my bedroom. The pole mounted transformer that is directly behind my house exploded suddenly. Once I realized what was going on and that I no longer had any power in the house, I looked outside to find a fire truck already on the scene and fire fighters watching the transformer catch on fire. It wasn't a large fire and as it was raining they just kept an eye on it and waited for it to cease. They were however watching it carefully as the embers from the fire were being caught by the wind and landing in trees, on people's lawns and a few on the roof near the transformer. I ended up staying up most of the night watching the scene unfold as I am not comfortable sleeping in power outages. I am not afraid the dark when I can control it but I get really uneasy when I cannot turn a light on when I want to. Anyway, the fire was entertaining for the most part and didn't seem to be too serious. Eventually I started to drift asleep after taking a few photos of the incident. At about 6am the hydro trucks showed up and boy were they ever noisy. I had slept for almost an hour by this point but was unable to fall asleep again. They left at about 9:30 and the power was back on by 10. I was able to sign onto my work email and also get Chris registered for her classes without too much delay.
The pole now looks like this:*UPDATE* I returned from running a few errands to find the hydro workers back working on this pole as well as some others in the area. It looked like they were fitting them with something. I really don't know anything about the electrical poles and transformers, etc.

1 comments:

Unknown 6:34 AM  

Nice one! I like the outfit of the characters. Wish i could do the same thing too but im not that techie.i like the outfit of “from farmer to warden”.. really interesting.
Three phase transformers

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Eddy Oliver Beach

Eddy Oliver Beach
Nov. 2, 1998 - May 26, 2007

Copyright

The work contained in my online galleries and published on my blogs is Copyright Stephanie Beach 1998-2011 (unless otherwise stipulated). All rights reserved. My work may not be reproduced, copied, edited, published, transmitted or uploaded in any way without my written permission. My work does not belong to the public domain.


  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP